Reading’s Labour Council is one of the top local authorities in the UK for tackling the Climate Emergency. We’re one of just 95 towns and cities GLOBALLY to achieve the top score in the Carbon Disclosure Project’s ‘gold standard’.
With Labour, Reading Borough Council has reduced its carbon footprint by almost 70% in just 12 years. We’re leading the way to achieving net zero across the town and delivered a 49% reduction in emissions since 2005 – the fifth highest reduction in the UK.
Reading Labour have pledged over £35 million for environmental initiatives, including:
- Installing electric vehicle charge points in residential streets
- Improving Council homes to get better efficiency and reduce residents’ bills
- 4,000 new solar panels on community buildings, in partnership with Reading Community Energy
- More tree planting across Reading
- Making our schools more energy efficient and comfortable for children
- New leisure centres built to the highest environmental and sustainability standards
- Reducing street light energy use by 54% by installing new, energy efficient LED lights
Vote Labour in Reading on Thursday 5th May for a Council and a town that tackles the climate crisis and enhances its environment through action, not words.