Labour has delivered for Reading; and delivered despite Tory Government neglect. Together with residents, we have:
- Taken real action on climate change leading to Reading being named as one of the top areas GLOBALLY in the drive to net zero, and in the top five nationally
- Achieved a huge increase in the recycling rate from 35% to over 50%
- Invested in 40 modular homes and proper support to help people out of rough sleeping
- Built Council homes for Reading families – and the Council has been named as Home Builder of the Year in the national awards
- Increased the number of high-quality apprenticeships offered by the Council and are working with business around the town to increase this further, giving our young people opportunities
- Continued to re-wild our open spaces, investing in tree planting and wildflowers, and also increased the number of allotment sites available
- Introduced Reading’s first School Streets
- Ensured that no child in Reading has to go hungry during school holidays
- Helped refugees from Ukraine and Afghanistan
- Taken a tough stance on graffiti and fly tipping, issuing fines and cleaning up our town
- Supported the voluntary sector and arts projects with funding
- Improved South Reading Leisure Centre and are constructing new pools across town – the best leisure centres Reading has ever had within the next year
But there’s more to do.
Voting for your local Labour candidates on Thursday 5th May is the only way to ensure a Labour-run council. Let’s keep Reading a sustainable, fair and forward-looking town we can all be proud of.